Sunday, December 8, 2013
CO-OPS, STOP THE BUDGETTING, 'GAD' IS HERE, NEEDS BUDGET
Just when COOPERATIVES have just about wrapped up their respective budgets for 2014, here comes a midnight requirement from the Cooperative Development Authority (CDA), to allot a budget for a new project - Gender and Development- for cooperatives.
This end-of-the-year requirement is contained in CDA MC No. 2013-22, entitled, "Guidelines on Mainstreaming Gender and Development (GAD) in Cooperatives."
Dated November 12, 2013, the MC says it will take effect 15 days after its publication in the Office of the National Administrative Registry (ONAR). The MC was date-received on Dec. 6, 2013 by ONAR. Does that mean it takes effect on Dec. 21, 2013? Or 10 days before the year ends?
To promote "gender equality" the cooperatives are mandated to do the following, among other things:
1. To approve and implement policies related to Gender and Development, and Gender Equality;
2. To approve a Cooperative Development Plan that includes strategies/programs/activities/projects that address issues and concerns on gender and policy implementation;
3. To prove that gender programs and projects in the Cooperative Development Plan are implemented;
4. To allocate a GAD budget to the programs/activities/projects in the Cooperative Development Plan;
5. To establish mechanisms and instruments in the cooperative that will ensure GAD mainstreaming is facilitated, implemented and monitored
The Circular also sets the functions and responsibilities of the GAD focal person; GAD Committee; Education Committee; Management; and of the Board of Directors in the adoption and implementation of GAD projects.
Because of the time constraints, will accomplishments on GAD activities be included in the 2013 compliance reports of the cooperatives to CDA, or will these be part of the 2014 activities and reports?
There were no transition period provided, and the answer to the above question is not clearly addressed in the Circular. So, cooperatives, again, you are on your own. (END).